Friday, October 5, 2012

Pretty in Pink

Today was an exciting day! I rode in a pink fire truck with 4 other survivors! It was so wonderful to see my group of supporters cheer me on. I was all ready to give my speech. But then I looked over at my girls holding a sign that said "I wear pink for my Mom." I had no idea that they were going to have a sign. I tried not to choke while giving my speech but all I could picture was my cheerleaders standing there cheering me on. Thank you to all of you who helped me perfect my speech and those of you who showed up to show your support. I am truly blessed to have all of you in my life. I tried to upload the video of my speech but I can not figure out how to. So here it is for all to read. I am 28 years old and I believe I am one of the few people that can say I am living my dream. My whole life, it was my dream to grow up, be a mom, and to claim the illusionary title "Best Mommy in the world". Today, I am the proud mother of four beautiful girls and I like to think I am pretty good at it. But my dreams suffered a hiccup. You see nowhere in my dreams did ever wish to grow up and battle cancer. That was a surprise I could have done without, but somehow, it is happening. My dreams tuned upside down when I heard those scary words "You have cancer". I don't think anything can prepare you to hear those words. I looked at my four precious girls sitting by my side. I had to fight the urge to scream, to lose control. I had to be strong for them. I had to be strong for myself. On July 17th, I was diagnosed with Paget's Disease of the Breast. Dr. Weiner ran several more tests, including one that revealed Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. On August 9th, Willow's 11 month birthday, I had a double Mastectomy that revealed a third cancer Ductal Carcinoma in Situ, which did not show up on any imaging system. I can not stress the importance of getting yourself check. I never thought in a million years I could get sick like this. But I did. The strongest advocate for yourself is YOU. If you don't fight for your health, then who will? Luckily though, we don't have to fight alone. I have been blessed with the outpouring support I have received from my family, my friends, and my medical team. They have supported me with day-to-day needs. They have supported me physically, emotionally and spiritually. And what has been a huge blessing for me is that they have supported me in keeping my dream alive. I am still a mom and I am able to still enjoy life with my four beautiful girls. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all. I don't know why God chose me to walk this journey, but He has. i have learned that it is ok to be angry. But what good is it wasting my energy on anger? I need strength to fight and fight I will. I would like to end with a bible verse. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 "Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." If I could ask this crowd one thing, it would be to pray, no matter your beliefs. Please pray for me, my family, and all those who are fighting cancer. I have four girls and a dream to live. And I am thankful for that. Yet, they both need a little help. Say your prayers and I will keep fighting.....fighting like a girl.

1 comment:

  1. Miranda, You are a true fighter and I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family to get through this hiccup in your life! I read a quote by Joyce Meyer on Friday morning. It really made me think and to give me more push to make everyday worth living day by day of this war we are fighting. I will fight with you... “Get up every day, love God, and do your best. He will do the rest!” ~Joyce Meyer ~ May God Bless You, Cindy

    ReplyDelete